How Environment and Forestry Department Should Work In India?
To ace the green objective , how the environment and forestry department should set the goals.
This is 2021. The population of the country is 136.64 crores
( www.worldometers.info). For every person of the country to get fresh supply of oxygen 24 hours, the number of plants .
- Scientists estimate a safe oxygen consumption of 50 liters per hour for a human. Meanwhile, a leaf gives off about five milliliters of oxygen per hour. A person would need to be in a room with about ten thousand leaves. About 300 to 500 plants would produce the right amount of oxygen, but it’s much harder to estimate the amount of carbon dioxide the plants absorb, especially if every time a person breathes out, they inhibit oxygen production. To be safe, don’t get into an airlock without bringing about seven hundred potted plants with you. ( Source: https://io9.gizmodo.com/how-many-plants-would-you-need-to-generate-oxygen-for-y-5955071)
Now, if 136 crores of population needs fresh oxygen to survive , they would require approximately 136*500 crore plants.
Now, lets consider the total area of the country and the forest areas of the land. The total area of India is 3.287 million Kilometer square. The total Green area is approximately 26.54% of the country's geographical area. The survey that needs to be conducted is the approximate average number of plants in the green areas per mile square. Thereby we would et a clear picture of whether we have enough green areas to provide fresh oxygen for all in the country.
The next step would be identifying the stretches of land that can be turned green. Stretches must be 3 or more kilometers each in minimum. The lands that can be considered in identifying those stretches are
- Waste lands
- Desert areas
- Lands having sparse or least population density and others.
- Lands in proximity to water bodies and resources
The following stages need to be considered for green growth
- Identification of stretch that can be taken under green rejuvenation program
- Identification of stretches uniformly distributed across the country so that carbon sink problem doesn't occur anywhere.
- Clearing the stretches of pollution and settlements ( providing alternative settlements and using bio-remediation tools and techniques)
- Preparing the soil conditions, land water density and other for growth of plants.
- Selecting the species most beneficial and suitable for growth in the specific areas.
- Reversing the deserts into green zones. New upcoming researches must be catered to.
- Refer: (https://www.hindustantimes.com/noida/four-amity-university-faculty-members-get-place-in-top-2-of-global-research/story-Hn5dDLUseUXx5bSOmTFJCO.html)
- Bio-fuel or fuel from molasses and carbohydrate contents must be promoted
- (Refer- https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Poonam_Nigam/publication/289739556_Microbial_biofuels_production/links/5755653808ae155a87b9699e/Microbial-biofuels-production.pdf)