Source: Ismile Technologies
Microsoft Azure is a cloud platform that offers cloud services including computing, data storage, data analytics, and networking. Virtual machines utilized by Microsoft Azure are customizable, cost-effective, and have better security layers than a physical hardware setup. Azure is used worldwide by leading organizations as it is extremely portable. It allows users to effortlessly move full application environments from one place to another in the cloud or in technical terms we can say it allows migration of an Azure Subscription from one Azure Tenant to an entirely different Azure Tenant. An Azure Tenant is an enterprise-level framework that comprises an Azure Active Directory. It allocates a private cloud space to service users under a subscription with a unique ID. The tenant manages all the resources in the cloud-like VNets, PaaS, and VMs along with all the accounts and billing connections under the subscription.
Often, organizations need to transfer their Azure subscription to a different enterprise/corporate Tenant. The situation may vary but the migration process requires the same set of rules and steps. Here are few things to keep in mind when going through a migration process:
- Before the migration, review all the components. Segregate them into two different sections “To be dumped” and “To be used”. However, it is a regular process in testing and development environments, but still, make sure that it is done before starting the migration.
- Prior to migration, gather all the documentation related to the solution and components under the subscription. From Architecture drawings, disaster recovery strategies to VMs, VNets, databases, etc.
- Study all of the references from Microsoft related to the migration before making any move.
- Decide in advance, who will execute the migration. Either someone from the organization or an entity on behalf of Microsoft will execute the transfer.
- Establish communication between the involved source and target enterprise. Appropriate entities need to communicate during the migration to keep it smooth.
- During the transfer, make sure all the important entities are present. Owners of the Azure subscription and applications need to be present from both enterprises.
- Authenticate that all migration preconditions are satisfied and completed in the utmost manner.
- All the parties involved in the process must be aware that the migration process might take more than the required time frame to complete. It may get affected by various different factors.
- After the migration process is completed, verify that all major resources are accessible under the new Tenant.
- Confirm that the precise production process of all applications is functional under the new Tenant.
- Check that the billing information and accounts in the new Azure Portal are clearly visible.
Many times, the migration process is not executed properly and results in a wastage of time and resources. Azure VMs migration is a time-consuming and critical process that involves the transfer of highly sensitive information, which is why it is required to be attentive throughout the whole process. Consider the above-listed points before, during, and after the migration in order to avoid any kind of disaster.